The parish of Oradour Saint Genest is situated between the two cities of Poitiers to the North and Limoges to the South and stretches over a total of 9225 acres. The territory is dissected by the river Brame which, after years of erosion to the local landscape revealed numerous naturally occuring granite boulders known as a “Chiron” in old French.
In the 10th century tenanted farms passed from father to son. In around 1453, during the hundred years war, the tenant of the hamlet of Le Chiron was Jean d’Oradour, one of the Lussat family that founded the market town of Oradour. In 1781 a new road was constructed, now known as the D4, which divided the original estate of Le Chiron in two. Due to the French Revolution most of the nobility emigrated which gave the bourgeois the opportunity to acquire the aristocratic estates they left behind. This enabled Joseph Félix Leulier de Cheix to buy the property from Charles Joseph Boucheil and from 1789 he left his estate manager Bouquet du Peyrat in charge.
In 1860 the tenanted farm of Le Chiron was bought by the Desgranges family. They subsequently acquired the estates of La Graignerie and continued to purchase all the hamlets, farms and properties in the local area known as Le Monteil, Raveneau, Josnou, Aumallerie, La Caille, La Gagnerie and L’Age Berneuil (all local to Château du Chiron).
The Desgranges family were nobility in the town of Bellac, located 13km from Le Chiron, where they lived in a vast mansion. The Limousin was (and still is) an important area for the breeding of horses and the family owned one of the largest stables in the region. Their property named Le Monteil, an ancient fortified château and which can still be seen in the distance from Château du Chiron, was gradually becoming uninhabitable. So, in 1870, the Desgranges family decided to build another property situated in the best location that the Le Chiron estate could offer and one which would command magnificent views over the surrounding landscape. Finally completed in 1879 with the construction of the two towers, this property became Château du Chiron.
Eugènes Desgranges’ daughter Catherine married the Earl Hypolyte-Alexandre de Mareschal de Luciane and their son, Earl Guy-Clément de Mareschal de Luciane had two daughters Alix and Caroline who inherited the château and used it for their Summer holidays. In France, the era of the ‘grandes familles’ started to come to an end and many properties were sold off throughout France. In 1998 Alix de Mareschal de Luciane decided to sell Château du Chiron and it passed into new ownership for the first time since its construction.